July 27, 2008

When I Grow Old....

Many of you know or have met my dog Pickles. She's my families’ FIRST pet, ever. She's a BIG deal. I can remember the day we got her. We lived in Cameron Park, California, my older and younger brothers and I were outside playing in the front yard, we had to choose between her and her brother. She was the runt of the litter, with the cutest little face, big floppy ears that she hadn't grown into yet and the sweetest little personality. It was a done deal, and now she's been with us for about 14 years. My Dad and his wife had her until she moved down with Jordan (my little brother) to my Mom and her husbands home 3 years ago.

She's getting old. She is OLD! And like many unfortunate old people that start to lose certain uses of their bodies, Pickles has moved on into that part of her life as well. You know where she can hardly SEE (not that she could see all that well to begin with), HEAR (I think she's pretty much deaf now), or SMELL- once again, she wasn't really blessed with that trait in her younger days either. She sleeps most the day away, not wanting to go on walks, play much more than 5 minutes and prefers the quiet back room to take a nap whenever there's anything loud going on in the living room. She's even got the grumpy personality of someone who's lived a long life and just wants to be left along for 5 minutes to get a nap, she even gets snappy with little kids. Lol.

So when I'm old and crotchety I hope I don't have to wear diapers, like so many old people do. Seriously. It has to be embarrassing to not be able to "hold it" til you can get to a bathroom. I'm sure it starts out like a small accident- like, "Did I just do what I think I did?" The iron bladder you once had in your younger days is not so iron anymore. It's more like... a crappy Wal-Mart brand of zip lock baggies... that splits open and spills the contents into your purse. Ugh.

I think the worst thing that this poor little dog has come across in her olden age is bladder issues. And like many old people, Pickles has now been placed in what you would call a diaper. Sad, I know. Pat and Peri like having her in the house, but with her not so iron bladder these days, if she’s to stay in the house, she’s wearing it. Period.

And of course she looks hilarious… and I had to post a few pictures of it…. Hahahahaaa! Poor dog.

A shot from behind....

5 comments:

Lindsy said...

Our dog sported the same diaper cover in the jean material before we got her spade. It also kept her male visitors from ya know... So it became her chastity belt.

I must say Pickles looks really cute in her Depends. HEHE

They really should give dogs more color options for those things. Someone should sew her one with little dill pickles on it. Now that would be really cool.

Julie said...

Aaaaaaahhhh, poor Pickles! I agree with Lindsy though...she sure looks cute in her diaper. And I'm with Lindsy on the options thing too. They have all sorts of ridiculous clothes for dogs. Couldn't they make a more fashionable diaper for them? Maybe it would be a little less embarrassing for the poor puppy!

Kacey said...

I have to say I've never seen a diaper for a dog before...that is funny. I do feel bad for Pickles though, poor thing!

Amy said...

Oh sweet Pickles!! I love her!! Cute bum...where you from??

Becky said...

Bitches Britches!!! Darla has to wear them when she is in heat. I think they are cute!