June 9, 2008

Requesting Reading Recommendations


Reading Recommendations Anyone...Anyone?!
It's summer and schools out! Hooray! That means I get to read whatever I want:) No more reading about things that I have no interest in (Business, communications, etc.)just to get my homework done. It’s just finding the time now…. Which I’ve squeezed in here and there….
BUT I need some recommendations…. Anyone reading something that they LOVE and think we should all read? Do share!

I’ve gone through a few books already this summer, if anyone else is looking for something to read, here's a list of what I've read this summer:
Summer Book List 2008
1. My Year of Meats by Ruth L. Ozeki
I actually first read this book a few years ago, in an English class my first year at ASU. I really enjoyed it then, so I decided to read it again. AND I enjoyed it even more this time around, because I didn’t have to analyze it for a class. It’s definitely an interesting read.
2. The Voyage of the Northern Magic by Diane Stuemer
This book is basically my dream…. come true. And written down in book format. I’m SO jealous of this family and would love love love to do something like this one day. Well, maybe not on a boat. Seasickness. But none-the-less, this is a FABULOUS book. Oh, and this is also the second time I’ve read this book too… I’m scheduling to read it again in a few years.
3. Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald.
Iranian girl comes to the Land of the Free, America and needs to find a husband pronto. She’s awed by the new freedoms, torn by the traditions of her family and desperately wants to get married so she can stay and not go back to a life under the Veil. Eeeeeeh. It’s okay. Easy and fast read though.
4. For One More Day by Mitch Albom
Definitely a slow start on this book. Mondays with Morrie and The 5 People You Meet in Heaven were both SO good, so I was expecting the same from this book… a bit of a let down though. A story of a loser of a guy who blames everyone else for his issues, but you see him go through an experience towards the end of his life and he learns that he can’t blame everyone else for his actions. Like, DUH!

5. At First Sight by Nicolas Sparks
Bleeeh. I usually like NS books… and read them in a sitting or two… but this was BOOOORING Bummer. It was slow to start, and not “catchy” at all. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.
6. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
Okay, I just started this book last week and the very beginning is about Atoms and cells and Science things, stuff I’m not interested in. But I’m trudging through with the hopes that the science talk with stop… and Bill will get to his usually funny stories. Fingers crossed.
7. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
I’ve hear over and over mainly by family that this book (and the following 2, which I have) are FABULOUS! Well, I was at the movies the other night and I saw a preview for it…. And the movie looked cool…I was sold! Plus I’d rather read the book before seeing the movie. So that night I went to my friends’ house, picked up all 3 book and am already half way through the first one. So far so good.

5 comments:

The King Family said...

Hey Sexy! I am reading "19 Minutes" by Jodi Picult. This is the 2nd book of hers I have read, and I liked the other one much better. This one is about a school shooting in a perfect small town back East. It jumps around a lot, but raises a lot of issues teens deal with. Interesting- I like it. But "My Sister's Keeper" was her first book that I read & it was much more intriguing. Also just read "The Sunflower" by Richard Paul Evans. Love story and adventure- reminds me a bit of you Court! Easy read if you are a romantic!

Chelsea and Rusty said...

i was going to say to read twilight, soo good, i think i might be a little obsessed....... The Host by stephanie meyer is good too.

Becky said...

I was going to say the "Twilight" series because I just read them. Easy and fun to read. I just re-read
"To Kill a Mockingbird." If you have not read it since high school I say give it a go again. It is one of my favorites! I also really enjoyed a book called "A Town Like Alice." It starts slow but give it a chance. I so wanted to move to Australia after I finished it.

Becky said...

I thought of another one. Did you ever read "The Secret Life of Bees?" If not you should.

JulieB said...

Oh, thanks for the list Court, I need some new reading material! I really enjoyed The Poisenwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, A Thousand Splendid Suns by ??, and a funny short read I just finished called Eat Cake.